Accessing urgent and emergency health and social care over the Bank Holiday weekend

Information about what to do if you or someone you know is unwell over the upcoming long weekend
female doctor wearing mask seeing patient

NHS 111

NHS 111 can help if you have an urgent medical problem and you’re not sure what to do. You can call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergency.

Call 111 and speak to a highly trained adviser, supported by healthcare professionals. They will assess your symptoms and immediately direct you to the best medical care for you. You can get help online or on the phone. 

NHS111 can also book you a time slot at A&E (Accident and Emergency) if needed, so that you can get the care you need without having to sit in busy waiting rooms.

To get help from NHS 111, you can:

call 111 (Calls are free from landlines and mobile phones).

NHS 111 is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You can ask for a translator on the phone if you need one. 

Use NHS111 online


Your local pharmacist can give you friendly expert advice about over-the-counter medicines that can help with lots of common conditions without the need for an appointment.

There are pharmacies open in Enfield over the bank holiday. You can find pharmacies near you using the NHS pharmacy finder.

Find a pharmacy

It is important that you do not go to a pharmacy if you have symptoms of Coronavirus (a high temperature, a new, continuous cough or a loss or change to your sense of smell or taste). If this is the case, please contact NHS111.

You can also find information about pharmacies open in North Central London on the North Central London Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) website.

Dental care

In an emergency, call your own dentist for an appointment, but when the practice is closed, please call NHS 111.

More information

Getting urgent help for mental health

A mental health emergency should be taken as seriously as a physical one. You will not be wasting anyone's time. If you have an existing mental health condition and an assigned care team or care worker, then it’s important to contact them.

The Barnet, Enfield and Haringey Mental Health Trust (BEH-MHT) crisis telephone line is open 24/7. You can call them on 0800 151 0023.

The BEH-MHT crisis telephone line

The Samaritans

The Samaritans are here to listen at any time of the day or night. You can talk to them about anything that's troubling you, no matter how difficult. Call free on 116 123 

The Samaritans website

Shout crisis text support

Shout offers confidential 24/7 crisis text support for times when you need immediate assistance. Text SHOUT to 85258.

Shout Crisis Text Line website

Social care

Enfield Council have an emergency duty team to provide an out of hours service for adults or children who are at risk, where it would not be safe to wait until the next working day. All referrals are dealt with by fully qualified and experienced social workers.

You can contact the emergency duty team to:

  • report abuse, harm or neglect
  • request a social care assessment
  • put an emergency support plan in place, if an urgent situation means a carer is unable to look after someone they usually care for, and they have a carer's emergency card

If an adult or child is at risk, call 020 8379 1000 between the hours of 5pm and 9am, and at weekends or bank holidays.

More information

Reporting safeguarding concerns


If you have a safeguarding concern relating to a child you can contact the Enfield Council Childrens Multi Agency Safeguarding Hub (MASH) on 020 8379 5555 (Mon-Thurs 9am-5pm; Fri 9am-4.45pm). Out of office hours call: 020 8379 1000 (select option 2 and you will be transferred to an advisor). You can also send an email.


If you have a safeguarding concern relating to an adult you can contact the Adult Abuse line on 020 8379 5212 (this is a 24 hour line and you can leave your concern anonymously). You can also send an email.

More information

Enfield Carers Centre

Enfield Carers Centre can help organise emergency replacement care in an emergency. You can call them on 0208 366 3677. They also have more information on their website.

More information

More about Volunteering

Looking for information about health and care?

Find advice and information to help you stay well and make decisions about your health and social care support.

Find advice and information